New direction – The Foiling Moth – Part 1.

We are in several foiling projects and more is coming. We do so much analysis on the sails for different foiling boats and we spent so much time to work in this area so decided to jump into some moth sails as well.

In Hungary, there only few moths. I know only two mach2 and perhaps one or two homemade ones. The nice thing is one of my friends owns one. This is a good starting point, and we will have testing possibilities on Lake Garda.

In the last months, I went through all the nice pictures and descriptions, where this class is now. In the loft we examined all the sails we found around.
Measured some masts as well on stiffness for the luff curves.

I started the design process. I was confident on the flying shape, and all the details as I collected lots of datas, just went through some analysis and some small changes during the process. I wanted to push the whole project to get into the sailmaking and testing phase.
Ended up in two versions, with two slightly different flying shape and twist, different head end roach. The other difference is one for bent boom.

The sails will be produced during the newt 1.5-2 weeks. I love the membrane sails, but now I chose a very light technora laminate for radial cut.
In the Part 2 mainly photos of the construction will come and in Part 3 the testing.